Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Cats

Concerning Cats. I do not have a very high opinion of cats. (Sorry all you cat lovers ;) I don’t have a problem with other people liking cats or owning cats or wising to own cats and I don’t have a problem with petting cats. I just would never like to own one. Why? They are very independent and, except for the occasional few, they are not very loyal. Dogs are loyal, horses are loyal, but cats…. Cats are independent. They are here and then gone, have rather short tempers, and do not like to cooperate. I may not like cats since I had a few bad experiences with them when I was little. One day, I was attempting to get Cupcake (what a sweet name) up on the wood pile with me. To my horror, instead of being nice and agreeable, the cat sunk its claws into my leg (I was wearing shorts) and held on as I screamed and tried to get it off. I had to pry it loose and then the boys came to my rescue and chased it off. I had small punctures all over my leg and it really hurt. So, I have good reasons to dislike cats. If we lived on a farm I might consider getting one to catch the mice. In general I do not like cats but there are a few that are alright. I will leave you poor cat lovers with the following quote, spoken with truth by my dad; “Cats are disposable.”

14 comments:

Erin said...

When I was seven or eight, I owned a cat. She was the sweetest, darlingest, lovable-est thing. She was also EXTREMELY independent. I think that is admirable. She knew how to look after herself. She was special, because she was also loyal. She would wander off but always come back. I would take her in my arms and I loved to hear the steady purring of contentment.

We loved eachother.

:)

Kelsie Handel said...

That is an example of the "nicer" cats.

Erin said...

Just because you have come across some terrible cats doesn't mean the majority are like that!

I think all cats probably have on "fault" or another....I have plenty of stories about those...so don't get me started! lol

Kelsie Handel said...

I won't :)

Dorothy Plaza BSN, RN, DPP Master Trainer said...

*humph* I like cats and no one can make do otherwise :). But, alas, I can't own one... *cries*

I respect your opion on cats... sort of :D.

Erin said...

one more thing (sorry):

Cats are not disposable. No living thing is disposable, they were created by God.

Kelsie Handel said...

Cristian-
Thank you for your respect :) I have sympathy for you not being able to own a cat. I am not totaly heartless as far as other people having cats as their favorite (or almost favorite) pet.

Erin-
True, but as far a you can say things are disposible, cats are. They run away, are hit by cars, eaten by something, or otherwise die and are replaced. (May I remind you that it is 1:14 in the a.m.)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ya'all,
hmmmm..do I detect some tension? heh Ok, here is my say. I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opionion. I have had some scary cat stories in my life too, but I've also had some wonderful ones. So, I would say cats are 50/50. Somestimes angels, sometimes devils.

~Traci
*sorry for the spelling errors*

Erin said...

I think you are looking for a different word besides "disposable". YOU could run away, be hit by a car, or get eaten by something. Does that mean you are "disposable"? I don't think so. :)

When I hear "disposable" I think of "something that could be erased off the face of the earth and who would care". Neither you nor cats are disposable, KK. ;)

Sherry said...

When I was 5 years old, we moved to my grandpa and grandma's farm so they could move to town. We inherited the two best farm cat moms in the world. They kept every rodent off of our farm, produced two batches of the most beautiful and kindest kittens each year, and were always there when you needed a friend. When I was about 12 they had to be put down because my dad hadn't kept them up on their shots and a rabid skunk cane and caused havoc with our cats and our dog. Never again was our farm graced with any cat that could even come close to those two female felines. I'll never forget them and would indeed have laughed if anyone would have called them disposable! :) Mrs. M

Kelsie Handel said...

I think that Traci has made the best point about cats.

Erin- I understand your point but the word I am looking for is disposible.

Kelsie Handel said...

I understand all you view points and mine is just a little displeasing to those who like cats. Just like if you said that you thought that dogs were (I don't know) vicious. I would have a different point of view and not agree with you although you would be partly right because some dogs are vicious. Just like some cats are loyal and loving and others are unloyal and mean. I just happen to dislike cats because I have not ever experienced the nice kind and cannot really see their good side. :)

Erin said...

Oh I am SO sorry for you then KK! :(

Kelsie Handel said...

Why? Because I have never had a nice cat? Well don't be too sorry...and don't think that I am heartless...I have had animals in my life which are very dear so I understand anyones defence of the animals they love.